Pietro Canonica Museum
From 1898, for a period of seventeen years, Canonica was a frequent visitor to Stresa due to his friendship with the Duchess of Genoa, mother of Queen Margherita of Savoia. As a regular guest at the duchess’s villa in Stresa he sculpted several bronze monuments for the town over a period of more than thirty years. In 1953, prompted by his strong ties with the town, Canonica donated a large number of his plaster and marble works to the City of Stresa, to be exhibited in a hall dedicated to him. Following a temporary arrangement in the Palazzo dei Congressi (Congress Palace), the sculptures by Canonica have now been restored and have found a more suitable home in a special exhibition room reserved expressly for his works within the Town Hall.
ABOUT PIETRO CANONICA - Pietro Canonica (Moncalieri 1869 - Rome 1959) developed as a sculptor among the academia in Turin. Skilfully combining the demands of Verismo with the spiritualistic inclinations of Symbolism, he became famous as the portrait sculptor of the European aristocracy and upper bourgeoisie. After moving to Rome, in 1908 he collaborated on the sculptural decoration of the monument to Vittorio Emanuele II, obtained several commissions in Italy, the Balkans, Turkey and Russia and also made his mark composing operas.